+971 50 618 6463 [email protected]

UK-pension-rules-stateUK State Pension rules have changed considerably over the last twelve months. This is also true if you are an expatriate or planning to retire to another country. This post endeavours to explain everything you need to know.


Contributing to your Pension Scheme

Depending on where you live in the world, you may be able to contribute to a pension scheme based in the country you live in. Most countries have a dedicated pension service like the UK, so the easiest way to find out if you can is to contact them.

It is also possible to claim your State Pension from the country you live in, and the UK providing you meet the eligibility. Qualifying periods vary from country to country. Again your countries respective pension service will be able to give you the information you need.


Working Overseas and your New UK State Pension

Your UK State Pension will be based on your UK National Insurance contributions.

Although you have ten qualifying years before you can claim a UK State Pension, you may still be able to receive it if you have worked less than that. To clarify, if you have worked in one of the following, you may still be able to claim the UK State Pension:

  • Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • Switzerland
  • Countries that have a social security agreement with the UK

So, if you worked for 8 years in the UK, and twenty in Switzerland, your UK State Pension will be paid based on the eight years contributions you have made.


Claiming your UK Pension as an Expat

In most countries you can claim your UK State Pension.

However, you will only receive increases in the state pension if you meet the following:

  • Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA)
  • Switzerland
  • Countries that have a social security agreement with the UK


Expat Pensions

Of course a state pension will only take you so far. To make the most of your retirement you need to identify your goals and select the right financial products for you. This can be complex, as finding tax efficient solutions, products which provide the best return on investment, are difficult unless you have the expert knowledge of a good financial planner.


Award Winning Financial Advice for UK Expats

If you’re thinking about your retirement get in touch. I am an award winning financial planner with years of experience at helping people obtain the right wealth management solution for their needs. My solutions are tax efficient and maximise your return on your investment. Click here to get started or fill out the Call Back Service form on this page.

Source: UK Government Website


For more information, please contact Michele Carby at Holborn Asset Management on +971 50 618 6463 and on e-mail at

Share This